Arthur Osborne: Bhagavan was reclining on his couch and I was sitting in the front row before it. He sat up, facing me, and his narrowed eyes pierced into me, penetrating, intimate, with an intensity I cannot describe. It was as though they said: “You have been told; why have you not realized?” ["Fragrant Petals", Pg 44]

Saturday, August 24, 2013

In Memoriam – Sri Vasant Kothari

I just learnt the very sad news that my good friend, Sri Vasant Kothari, passed away in Tiruvannamalai on 21st August 2013.
 
He would be known to a lot of devotees who visit Sri Ramanasramam, if not personally, then as a familiar face hanging about the Halls. As he hailed from Gujarat, he used to assist in looking after devotees who visited the Ashram from that part of India. Of late though, his ailing health implied that he could not take up any duties at all. He was probably around 75 years of age, single, and lived in a small, rented, one room apartment in Ramana Nagar. I do not know what exactly happened at the end, but he had been suffering from heart ailments for a while, and it was probably a heart attack that did him in.
 
He and I became friends after our first ‘encounter’ in Sri Ramanasramam about 10 years ago, when he fired me for holding my shoes in my hands when trying to take the path behind the Mother’s temple, to the single rooms behind. I had just arrived at the Ashram, and the taxi fellow had already gone ahead with my bags. I necessarily had to carry the shoes I had been wearing during the long trip from Delhi, up to the room. Kothari Saheb thought that I was a casual visitor, insensitively carrying shoes into the interior of Sri Ramanasramam. I simply bowed to his dedication and zeal and without saying anything walked back till the gate and left my shoes there for pickup later. Afterwards, he accosted and fired me again for not telling him that I was going to the rooms to stay, and that I had just arrived! Subsequently, when he came to Delhi for a few months to stay with some close family friends, he came to our house many times and would spend a lot of time chatting away with my parents.
 
 
Mr. Kothari.
In my room in Sri Ramanasramam (in 2009)
 
 
They say that old age for single people gets to be tough, really tough. I guess life was hard for Mr. Kothari too. All he would say to me on the last few occasions that we met in Sri Ramanasramam was, that he didn’t care for all that he had to suffer as Bhagavan was there to look after him. And that when the end comes he should be in Tiruvannamalai only.
Well, he got his wish on that at least. I and my parents will miss him.
 

5 comments:

David Godman said...

Vasant Kothari helped me to find copies of the original works of Swami Madhavatirtha, and then translated them into English for me.

The Swami Madhavatirtha chapter in The Power of the Presence, part one, contains replies by Bhagavan that are not repeated elsewhere in the published record.

I should like to put on the record my appreciation of Vasant Kothari's work on this and other projects.

Arvind Lal said...

Thanks David.

I spoke to Mr. Kothari once about the Swami Madhavatirtha chapter in Power of the Presence. So revealing and important are the conversations recorded by the Swami, that I picked up his Gujarati book “Sri Ramana Maharshi – Temno Parichay evam Bodha” too. It is available in the Sri Ramanasramam bookstore. I thought this original work may contain a few more insights. Gujarati script is not dissimilar to Hindi-Devanagari, but I found that I could only muddle thro’ at a painfully slow pace.

Struggling with this book, I got hold of Mr. Kothari to help me with the difficult paras . But Mr. Kothari told me that he and David had taken a lot of care to pick up all the meaningful conversations as available in this book, and included them in the Power of the Presence. He told me not to waste any more time in trying to read the Gujarati work. Interestingly, he mentioned that he knew some relations of Swami Madhavatirtha, now living in Bombay. The Swami had been a prolific writer, and apparently there was more unpublished, handwritten material of the Swami’s in existence. He said that he would try to find out more about their contents and whether there was anything concerning the Swami’s visit to Sri Ramanasramam, though he himself believed that everything important was included in the Gujarati book. Don’t think he could manage any of that though!

Best wishes

A said...

Thx David and Vasant ji. I am looking for booklet "Maya" mentioned in power of the presence - part 1

How to obtain that booklet ? Thx

mehtab said...

Since last two years I am searching the book 'Maya: It's Spiritual exposition based on the theory of relativity (1943), it is out of stock at Amazon. I found out that Swami Madhavtirth was a good friend of Shri Akhandanada of Sastu Sahitya Karyalaya Ahmedabad and Shri Manu Subedar. I read somewhere he belonged to or had some sort of ashrama in Nadel near Ahmedabad. I live in the US and after at least 13 years I will be visiting India next February. I am personally going to explore the details. Whoever I asked, could not help me find his books or any photograph of Swami.
I plan to visit Ramanashram the same month and plan to meet Shri Godman.

Bhartendu said...

You may find the book here...it is in Gujarati....https://docs.google.com/file/d/1k3umB53jEtDY0zR_kQy2ndpBm2ibj8Ji/view